University of Aberdeen
|Current Position||Chair in Fisheries Science|
|Previous Position||Sea Fisheries Group Leader, Marine Scotland|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1224 274166|
|Departments||School of Biological Sciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Biodiversity, Environmental Management|
|Methods I Use||Bio / Geo / Chemical Analytical, Modelling|
Key Research Interests
- Marine fisheries, their ecosystems, and fisheries management
- Sonar and other advanced technologies for surveying fish and other living marine resources
- Interactions between fish, their predators and their prey
- Population and ecosystem models
Recent Key Papers
- Nielsen, KN.et al. (2018). ‘A framework for results-based management in fisheries‘. Fish and Fisheries, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 363-376.
- Fernandes, PG., et al. (2017). ‘Coherent assessments of Europe’s marine fishes show regional divergence and megafauna loss‘. Nature Ecology & Evolution, vol. 1, 0170.
- Baudron, AR. & Fernandes, PG. (2015). ‘Adverse consequences of stock recovery: European hake, a new “choke” species under a discard ban?‘. Fish and Fisheries, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 563-575.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Climate change effects on fisheries of the North east Atlantic
- Nutritional value in European fisheries
- Studying the marine ecosystems of Greenland with broadband acoustics