Hi, my name is Sodiq Solagbade Oguntade. I obtained a bachelor’s degree in Applied Geophysics from the Federal University of Technology Akure, Nigeria, in 2018. In 2022, I bagged an Erasmus Mundus Joint MSc in Groundwater and Global Change – Impacts and Adaptation (GroundwatCH) at Instituto Superior Tecnico, Portugal, IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, Netherlands and Technische Universitat Dresden, Germany.

My QUADRAT project will investigate the impact of subsurface/geological heterogeneity on the performance of ATES installations using the Triassic Sherwood Sandstone Aquifer in Belfast as a case study. Subsurface heterogeneities may be associated with depositional features of sedimentary aquifers or discontinuities such as fractures, igneous intrusions or faults and may affect hydraulic and thermal properties of the host rock. These heterogeneities may affect the groundwater flow regime within the aquifer unit and impact on ability of the aquifer to store and conduct heat. This in turn may ultimately affect the overall efficiency and sustainability of the ATES installation. The output of this project aims at decarbonizing the heating and cooling sector. This sector accounts for half of the world’s total energy consumption, and ¾ of it is produced from fossil fuels.

My previous research has focused on near surface geophysics and hydrogeology, and I look forward to building on these experiences during the PhD.

The QUADRAT Doctoral Training Programme ticks what I envisioned of a PhD with opportunities to work with industrial partners and strong ties to the industry through annual summer schools and conferences that will facilitate interaction with stakeholders. In addition, the multi-disciplinary nature of the programme will offer an opportunity to exchange ideas and learn from other disciplines. Finally, the leadership and professional skills training will equip me with the relevant soft skills needed after the PhD.

I am a lover of fieldwork, reading historic books, travelling, and watching documentaries.