Please refer to our Funding and Eligibility information to ensure you are eligible to apply before beginning your application.
Applicants should identify a project of interest and are advised to contact the lead supervisor who can provide further information and advice about the project prior to applying. Please note, you can apply for a maximum of 2 QUADRAT projects per academic year. Detailed adverts are listed here.
Please watch: Introduction to QUADRAT recorded presentation
Please submit your application here: NOW CLOSED
DEADLINE: 23.59 (UK Time) on Wednesday 1st December 2021. NOW CLOSED. Please check back in September 2022 for the next application cycle.
Please read all the below information to ensure you submit a complete application.
Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will NOT be considered. Supporting documentation must be submitted by this date and will not be chased. When applying please ensure all required documents are sent via email as per the below instruction (see ‘your guide to applying’).
All candidates must submit their supporting documents (see below list) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: QUADRAT DTP PhD Application. We cannot chase missing documents – it is the applicants responsibility to ensure all documents are submitted by the relevant deadlines. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please submit the following supporting documents by the 1st December deadline:
- all degree certificates (please include Postgraduate qualifications if held)
- all degree transcripts (please include Postgraduate qualifications if held, & provisional transcripts for incomplete courses)
- a cover letter addressed to the lead supervisor (one per project)
- Academic CV
The below list of documents must be submitted by 31st December 2021:
- Two academic references – see below for details (deadline 31st December 2021).
- Evidence of pre/settled status or indefinite leave to remain (if applicable)
English Language Certificate if English is not your native language – see below for details
After submitting your application, you may be contacted by the project supervisor(s) to discuss the project in more detail.
You are required to submit an English Language Certificate if English is not your native language.
Please submit this if you have it otherwise this can be added as a condition to an offer of study should your application be successful.
English requirements for Aberdeen: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/international/requirements-pg-266.php
English requirements for Queen’s University Belfast: https://www.qub.ac.uk/International/International-students/Applying/English-language-requirements/
You must submit two academic references to support your application. Relevant professional references can also be accepted if academic references cannot be obtained.
Deadline for references: Friday 31st December 2021 – it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that these are submitted on time. Please request these from your referees as soon as possible.
There are two ways to do this:
- If your referees are comfortable with providing you with a reference directly, you can submit it via email with your other supporting documents – please always ask permission. References must be on institutional letter headed paper with a signature.
- Alternatively, your referee can send a reference directly to email@example.com. This must be on institutional letter headed paper with a signature, and sent from an institutional email address.
- We cannot accept a reference from the supervisor of the project you are applying to, regardless of whether you have worked with them at other stages of your education. Please be sure to find an alternative referee.
Please note: remember to let your referees know if you are applying for more than one project since this may influence the content of the reference.
Please follow the below guidance when submitting your application(s):
- Please only submit the application form once – you can select your first and second choice projects in the form,
- it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure two references are submitted on time,
- all documents must be officially translated into English – we cannot accept self-translated documents for verification purposes,
- please only submit the requested documents – all other submitted documents will be disregarded in fairness to other applicants,
- please ensure that all documents are scanned/photographed in high resolution – all documents must be clear and legible and will be rejected if they are not,
- a research proposal / statement of purpose is not required for QUADRAT DTP applications,
- the English language requirement can be added as a condition to any offer if you are unable to provide your certificate during the application process,
- if applying for two projects please send all documentation in one email – you must supply a cover letter for each application,
- Please submit all documents into a single combined PDF,
- please do not apply through the institutional application portal – successful candidates will be asked to formally apply following interview.
It is anticipated that shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview between Monday 28th February and Friday 4th March 2022. Interviews outwith these dates cannot be accommodated.
Duration: approximately 20 minutes
Interview Panel: 4 members of the QUADRAT Management Board, discipline specific, a mix of UoA & QUB academics
Logistics: Interviews will be conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams.
Tasks: You will be asked to prepare a short pre-recorded presentation.
Stage 1: submit your application. All applications will be reviewed by the project supervisory teams and applicants will be nominated to progress to the next stage.
Stage 2: nominated candidates are invited to participate in stage 2, completing an additional questionnaire and submitting a pre-recorded presentation.
Stage 3: interview
The below is a provisional timeline and dates may alter slightly.
- The call for applications will open in early October 2021.
- The deadline to apply is 23.59 (UK time) on Wednesday 1st December 2021.
- References must be submitted no later than Friday 31st December 2021. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all references are received by this date.
- Supervisors are asked to nominate candidates their chosen candidates by Thursday 20th January 2022.
- Nominated candidates are asked to submit a further questionnaire and pre-recorded presentation (see above, stage 2) with a deadline of Wednesday 9th February 2022.
- Stage 2 submissions are reviewed and shortlisted by Friday 18th February 2022.
- Shortlisted candidates are invited to interview. Interview invitations are expected to be sent out on Monday 21st February 2022.
- Interview outcomes will follow as quickly as possible after the interviews. Please be aware that this can take up to 3 weeks depending on the number of applications received. Please do not chase an outcome, we will contact you as quickly as we can.
- Reserve candidates will be notified of their status after offers have been made.
- Unsuccessful outcomes will then be issued.
- Wednesday 30th March 2022: UKRI Universal Acceptance Date. Offers must be made by this date but offer holders are not required to accept or decline an offer before this date.
- Offer holders who accept the offer will then be asked to formally apply through the institutional portal. Admissions will determine fee status and issue a conditional or unconditional offer.
- A formal funding award letter will follow the academic offer.
- If an offer is declined, we will move to the reserve list. This can occur at any time between March and September 2022.
Please see our FAQs for prospective applicants if you have any questions. This page tackles many of the most common enquiries we receive about the DTP and the application process. If however the FAQ does not answer your question you can contact the following teams:
The QUADRAT Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
The PGRS Admissions Team: email@example.com
The PGRS Admissions Team will be processing the QUADRAT applications for both Aberdeen and Queen’s applicants in the 2022 application cycle.
The QUADRAT DTP is funded by NERC, a UKRI Research Council. As a result, we are required to report on this information for all applicants to the QUADRAT DTP. If you do not wish to reveal this information you will always have the option to select ‘prefer not to disclose’.
NERC believes that everyone should feel welcomed, valued and included, and we challenge discriminatory or biased behaviour. We thrive to fund the best of the best, regardless of their background. To keep improving our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy, we gain information on the diversity profile of our applicants. This is important for NERC but also the University to put effective policies in place to offer equal opportunities.
Please be assured that the data you supply will be only be used for monitoring purposes and in conjunction with the review of your application. As such it will only be handled by the QUADRAT DTP Coordinator and will only be shared with individuals who are integral to the interview and selection process. Only anonymised data will be reported to NERC. By providing the requested information you are consenting to its use as stated in this paragraph.
The Recruitment Timeline
The call for applications will open in early October 2021.
The deadline to apply is 23.59 (UK time) on Wednesday 1st December 2021.
References must be submitted no later than 31st December 2021.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all references are received by this date.
Supervisors are asked to nominate candidates for interview by Thursday 20th January 2022.
Nominations are reviewed by the QUADRAT Management Board before interview invitations are issued.
Interview invitations are expected to be sent out the week of Monday 7th February 2022. You should not expect to hear from us before this date except for a confirmation of the submission of your supporting documents via email.
Interviewees are asked to submit a pre-recorded presentation to the interview panel by Thursday 17th February 2022.
All interviews will take place between Monday 28th February and Friday 4th March 2022. Interviews outwith these dates cannot be accommodated.
Interviews will take place via Microsoft Teams.
Interview outcomes will follow as quickly as possible after the interviews. Please be aware that this can take up to 3 weeks depending on the number of applications received. Please do not chase an outcome, we will contact you as quickly as we can.
Reserve candidates will be notified of their status after offers have been made. Unsuccessful outcomes will then follow.
Wednesday 16th March 2022: UKRI Universal Acceptance Date
Offer holders are not required to accept or decline an offer before this date.
Offer holders who accept the offer will then be asked to formally apply through the institutional portal.
Admissions will determine fee status and issue a conditional or unconditional offer.
A formal funding award letter will follow the academic offer.
If an offer is declined, we will move to the reserve list.
This can occur at any time from March to September 2022.