This page is a place where students and supervisors alike can find ideas on how they as individuals, the cohort or the DTP can reduce and/or offset their carbon footprint. If you have ideas you would like to contribute to or to help organise, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cohort activity ideas
- Organise beach /park / nature cleans
- Get involved in local tree planting initiatives
- Clothing swap
- Take your mug to meetings to reduce waste
- Use your QUADRAT reusable water bottle, travel mug & tote bag
- Create cohort /inter-cohort competitions / awards
Calculate your carbon footprint today:
- Purchasing rainforest for it’s protection and management
- Green roofs on campus
- Rainwater collection on campus
- Ensure spaces on campus where the grass is allowed to grow to benefit insects and pollinators
- Local tree planting initiatives / restoring local woodlands and habitats
- Peat bog preservation
- Support / take part in carbon offset projects from Carbon Footprint
- Support / take part in carbon offset projects from TerraPass
- Support / take part in carbon offset projects from South Pole
- Choose an official offset project to sponsor
- Support local communities and protect biodiversity
- Feedback on impact
- Utilise and publicise the WWF Gold Standard Carbon Offsetting Scheme
- Calculate the CO2 emitted from QUADRAT events and purchase offsets that exceed the total
- Incentive for students to avoid flying where possible
- Grants for bikes or bike loans / free bike schemes
- AUSA has a bike rental scheme
- Support the reintroduction of wolves in the UK
- Environmentally friendly competitions
- Who’s the most environmentally friendly in research focused travel?
- Focus on environmentally friendly food
- Vegan week? Vegan month?
- Blog posts with environmentally friendly recipes? One a day for a week? One each week?
- Think about food miles, where is your food coming from? Focus on seasonal and local groceries
- Local vegetable delivery scheme?
- Guerrilla Gardening
- You can buy ‘seed bombs’ here
- Carpooling? Public transport / bike groups?
- Community garden on campus
- Pollinator gardens
- 6 ways to show our gratitude to bees, butterflies and other vital pollinators from Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN
- Info on pollinator garden from Ecological Landscape Alliance
- Pollinator gardens
- Focus on legislation change rather than individual change
- Lobby university senates, local councils etc
- Seminar on practical tips to reduce carbon footprint
- Support local wildlife rescue centres
- Volunteer scheme?
- Marine reserves?
- Setting up birdfeeders on campus