QUADRAT-DTP partners are fully committed to Equality and Diversity issues. This is evidenced by our Athena SWAN Bronze (School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen), Silver (School of Natural and Built Environment, Queen’s University Belfast) and Gold (School of Biological Sciences, Queens’ University Belfast) Awards and the HR Excellence in Research Award, conferred by the European Commission in recognition of our commitment to the principles of the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers.
Postgraduate researchers at both partner institutions are supported by a suite of strategies, policies and associated action plans which positively impact and support their careers and professional development.
Our widening participation initiatives within QUADRAT include:
- all supervisors are required to have undertaken equality and diversity training
- gender-balanced interview panels
- unconscious bias training as a requirement for all interview panel members
- making sure that all projects allow for part-time study and are advertised as such
- encouraging part-time students by providing partial fee waivers to facilitate cohort building interactions
- providing support for caring responsibilities to allow attendance at conferences and on field work (This has been secured from The University of Aberdeen Development Trust for the life of QUADRAT DTP)
- developing a grassroots network for female postgraduates to explore potential causes of career drop-out and obstacles for advancement. (QUADRAT partners have a broad community of female role models in leadership roles in research governance and policy, who will provide mentoring and advice for career development.)