Research Experience Placements (REPs)
CALL FOR ACADEMICS WITHIN THE 4 QUADRAT DTP PARTNER SCHOOLS TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS FOR REPS PLACEMENTS. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
NERC recognises that there is a shortage of individuals with quantitative skills coming into environmental science. The REP scheme aims to address this shortage by offering funding to support summer placements for undergraduate students studying quantitative disciplines outside NERC science remit, during which they will undertake research within the environmental sciences. These placements are intended to encourage these students to consider further study and career opportunities in environmental science.
The REP scheme is not open to students already studying within NERC’s science remit. Successful candidates must meet the below eligibility criteria.
QUADRAT DTP has been awarded funding to accommodate three undergraduate placements over the summer of 2020, provided these fit the project criteria detailed below. It is essential that projects be designed with effective virtual delivery in mind.
If you think you can provide a relevant project for the REPs scheme, please submit details of the proposal by filling out the below survey by 1700 on Friday 22nd May 2020 after which projects will be advertised within the relevant disciplines at Aberdeen University and Queen’s University Belfast.
Placements are to take place over the summer vacation of 2020 (June to early September), with a duration of 6-10 weeks.
Funding of up to £2,500 is available per REP to cover minimum payment at the National Living Wage. Up to £2000 of this is available towards stipend, with the remaining £500 available for project research and training expenses, the costs of which must be itemised and justified in the final report.
Research project suitability criteria:
• Have a clearly defined objective.
• Be within the science remit of NERC.
• Be suitable for a student feasibly to complete within the timescale of the award.
• Include more than purely a computer/modelling component i.e. some element of fieldwork, data collection, activity to give an understanding of the wider context etc (dependent on Covid-19 situation).
• Give scope for thought and initiative on the part of the student and should not use the student as a general assistant. • incur project or training expenses of no more than £500.
• Be based at an eligible UK research organisation (University of Aberdeen or Queen’s University Belfast).
Student Eligibility Criteria:
Selected students must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for a REP:
• Be studying for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline outside of NERC’s scientific remit (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics, chemistry).
• Be applying for a placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree (a different discipline in the case of QUB SNBE which houses many of the above disciplines along with Geography and Geology).
• Be undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters),coming to the end of level 2/3.
• Be expected to obtain a first or upper second-class UK honours degree.
• Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (i.e. UK, EU or right to remain in the UK).
NERC REPs webpage: https://nerc.ukri.org/funding/available/postgrad/advanced/experience/
Notes for Editors
|Published||Wednesday May 6th, 2020|