University of Aberdeen
|Departments||School of Biological Sciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Biodiversity, Earth Systems, Environmental Management|
|Methods I Use||Bio / Geo / Chemical Analytical, Modelling|
Key Research Interests
- Modelling plant growth and soil function
- Quantification and mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions from anthropogenic activity
- Environmental impact of low carbon energy and transport infrastructure
- Environmental impact of offshore asset decommissioning and re-use for CCS
- Greenhouse gas removal by BECCS and Afforestation
Recent Key Papers
- Astley Hastings, Michal Mos, Jalil A Yesufu, Jon McCalmont, Kai Schwarz, Reza Shafei, Chris Ashman, Chris Nunn, Heinrich Schuele, Salvatore Cosentino, Giovanni Scalici, Danilo Scordia, Moritz Wagner, John Clifton-Brown. 2017, Economic and environmental assessment of seed and rhizome propagated Miscanthus in the UK. Frontiers of Plant Science: 8, 1058
- Albanito, F, Hastings, A, Fitton, N, Richards, M, Martin, M, Mac Dowell, N, Bell, D, Taylor, SC, Butnar, I, Li, PH, Slade, R & Smith, P 2019, ‘Mitigation potential and environmental impact of centralized versus distributed BECCS with domestic biomass production in Great Britain’, Global Change Biology. Bioenergy, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1234-1252.
- Hastings, A 2018, Bio-energies impact on Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services: Compared to other energy technologies. in Z Qin, U Mishra & A Hastings (eds), Bioenergy and Land Use Change. Geophysical Monograph Series, vol. 231, Wiley, pp. 83-97.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Quantifying the impact of low carbon transportation pathways on ecosystem services in the UK.
- Quantifying the impact of large scale bioenergy CCS in the UK.
- Determining the greenhouse gas emissions of Pelagic Fishing in the UK.
- Quantifying Greenhouse gas emissions/environmental impact of decommissioning UK offshore oil and gas installations.
- Investigating the potential for bioenergy feedstock production in the Loess Plateau in China.
- Quantifying the environmental impact of recent housing developments in Aberdeen.
- Investigating methods and environmental impact of decommissioning pipelines in place by burial
- Value and uses of waste biomass in the circular economy
- Spatial mapping of bio-hazards in historical heavy metal industrial sites