Queen's University, Belfast
Key Research Interests
- Environmental Microbiology and the study of host microbe interactions
- Microbiomes and their role in nutrition, toxicity, response to environmental factors.
- Next Generation sequencing: Transcriptomics, Metatranscriptomics, Genomics, Bioinformatics
Recent Key Papers
- Young E, Carey M, Meharg AA, Meharg C. 2018. Microbiome and ecotypic adaption of Holcus lanatus (L.) to extremes of its soil pH range, investigated through transcriptome sequencing. Microbiome. 2018 Mar 20;6(1)
- Meharg CM, Meharg AA. 2015. Silicon the silver bullet for mitigating biotic and abiotic stress, and improving grain quality, in rice? Environ. Exp. Bot 120:8-17
- Meharg C, Khan B, Norton G, Deacon C, Johnson D, Reinhardt R, Huettel B, Meharg AA. 2014. Trait-directed de novo population transcriptome dissects genetic regulation of a balanced polymorphism in phosphorus nutrition/arsenate tolerance in a wild grass, Holcus lanatus. New Phytol.201(1):144-54.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Arsenic methylation and soil microbes in rice paddy soils in different geographic regions.
- The effect of manure and planting on arsenic methylating soil microbes in rice paddy soil.
- The effect of inorganic and organic fertilisers on soil microbiology and cadmium and arsenic bioavailability to rice
- Processing rice grains to improve food safety
- Global Cadmium in rice