University of Aberdeen
|Current Position||Chair in Hydrology|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1224 272344|
|Departments||School of Geosciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Earth Systems, Environmental Management|
Key Research Interests
Runoff processes, streamflow generation and catchment biogeochemistry
- Use of isotopic and geochemical tracers in identifying hydrological pathways, water sources, residence times and biogeochemical controls on stream chemistry.
- Linkages between hillslope hydrology and streamflow generation.
- Integrating the results of tracer studies in hydrological models.
- Upscaling flow path understanding and landscape controls in mesoscale catchments
Groundwater – surface water interactions
- Groundwater-surface water interactions in upland environments.
- Linkages between hillslope hydrology and groundwater – surface water exchange.
- Hyporheic studies: influence of groundwater on the chemistry and ecology of the hyporheic zone.
- Groundwater-surface water interactions in alluvial floodplains.
Hydroecology of rivers and wetlands
- Interactions between flow variability, channel morphology, instream hydraulics and freshwater ecosystems; particularly with respect to salmonids and macroinvertebrates.
- Impacts of river regulation on aquatic ecosystems and the development of environmental flow regimes.
- Hydrology and conservation management of wetlands.