University of Aberdeen
|Current Position||Senior Lecturer|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1224 273492|
|Departments||School of Geosciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Earth Systems, Environmental Management|
|Methods I Use||Bio / Geo / Chemical Analytical, Modelling, Omics and Informatics|
Key Research Interests
- Uncertainty in data interpretation and visualization – current work: with psychologists on eye tracking interpretation of
seismic image data, use of digital technologies and data framing; with industry on stochastic models, expert elicitation, data
analysis and AI.
- Energy policy, communication of geoscience related energy issues, environmental impacts of energy choices,
perceptions of energy – current work through ClimateXChange: on shale gas perceptions, the use of precise language
and terminology in communication of energy issues, life cycle analysis; and through an EU ERAl ERA NET project on CCS,
just transition, perception of CCS.
- Structural controls on fluid flow in the crust in relation to a wide range of challenges e.g. CCS, geothermal energy,
- The use of photogrammetry in structural analysis with potential for AI.
- Deformation partitioning in the crust including mechanical controls, and the use of raman spectroscopy to determine
thermal maturity and deformation.
Recent Key Papers
- Cawood, A.J., Bond, C.E., Howell, J.A., Butler, R.W. and Totake, Y., 2017. LiDAR, UAV or compassl clinometer?
Accuracy, coverage and the effects on structural models. Journal of Structural Geology, 98, pp.67l 82.
- Bond, C.E., Roberts, J., Hastings, A.F.S.J., Shipton, Z., Joao, E., Tabyldy, K. and Stephenson, M., 2014. Lifel cycle
assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from unconventional gas in Scotland. ClimateXChange.
- Bond, C.E., Shipton, Z.K., Jones, R.R., Butler, R.W.H. and Gibbs, A.D., 2007. Knowledge transfer in a digital world: Field data
acquisition, uncertainty, visualization, and data management. Geosphere, 3(6), pp.568l 576.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Kinematics and structural complexity in deepl water thrust belts: examples from subsurface (offshore Sabah) and outcrops (Champsaur, western Alps)
- Quantifying strain partitioning in multil layers: the use of virtual outcrop analysis to investigate patterns of deformation
- Deformation localisation in thrustl stacked carbonates – an investigation of mechanical stratigraphy and thermal maturity.
- Evaluating consistency in complex structural models in areas of high interpretation uncertainties.
- Estimating Stretching Factors for the Upper Crust across Sedimentary Basins: Seismic Approaches Using Time Series Historical Datasets.
- Interpreting foldl thrust structures: how good are idealized models?