University of Aberdeen
|Current Position||Lecturer in Geosciences|
|Previous Position||Postdoctoral Research & Teaching Fellow (Leeds)|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1224 273448|
|Departments||School of Geosciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Earth Systems|
|Methods I Use||Bio / Geo / Chemical Analytical, Modelling|
Key Research Interests
- Passive seismology – imaging & monitoring active tectonic plate boundaries using earthquakes & ambient noise.
- Subsurface imaging & monitoring for geological, natural hazard, environmental, glacial, archaeological applications.
- Near-surface geophysical data acquisition and processing.
- Seismic reflection data acquisition and processing.
- Gravity and magnetic data acquisition and processing.
Recent Key Papers
- Papaleo, E, Cornwell, DG & Rawlinson, N 2018, ‘Constraints on North Anatolian Fault Zone Width in the Crust and Upper Mantle From S Wave Teleseismic Tomography‘ Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 2908-2922. DOI: 10.1002/2017JB015386
- Sammarco, C, Cornwell, DG & Rawlinson, N 2017, ‘Ambient noise tomography reveals basalt and sub-basalt velocity structure beneath the Faroe Islands, North Atlantic‘ Tectonophysics, vol. 721, pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1016/j.tecto.2017.09.012
- Kahraman, M, Cornwell, DG, Thompson, DA, Rost, S, Houseman, GA, Turkelli, N, Teoman, U, Altuncu Poyraz, S, Utkucu, M & Gulen, L 2015, ‘Crustal-scale shear zones and heterogeneous structure beneath the North Anatolian Fault Zone, Turkey, revealed by a high-density seismometer array‘ Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 430, pp. 129-139. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2015.08.014
* PhD students in italics
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Extending the life of mature basins in the North Sea and imaging sub-basalt and subintrusive structures using seismic intensity monitoring
- Characterisation of glacigenic reservoirs and landsystems using sedimentology, geomorphology and virtual outcrop mapping
- Geophysical investigation of the Rukwa Rift Basin in Tanzania
- Seismic imaging without a source
- Improved survey design for microseismic monitoring
- Ambient noise imaging in challenging environments