Queen's University, Belfast
|Current Position||Professor in Systems Biology|
|Previous Position||Professor of Medicine at Medical University Charles ton, USA|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 2890974961|
|Departments||School of Biological Sciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Environmental Management|
|Methods I Use||Modelling, Omics and Informatics|
Key Research Interests
- Endocrine disruption – focus on the effects of anthropogenic compounds on sentinel species particularly in the context of climate change.
- Computational genomics & systems biology – focus on the effects of legacy contaminants (e.g. PCBs & PBDEs) on marine mammals and human health – linkage to adverse environmental and human health outcomes.
- Epigenetics – focus on the effects of gene/environment interactions (GXE) in response to endocrine disrupting contaminants particularly during early development and linkage to adult onset or transgenerational health issues.
- Biomarkers of exposure and health risk assessment. diagnostic tool development.
Recent Key Papers
- De Novo Hepatic Transcriptome Assembly and Systems Level Analysis of Three Species of Dietary Fish, Sardinops s agax, Scomber japonicus, and Pleuronichthys verticalis.
Richards DJ, Renaud L, Agarwal N, Starr Hazard E, Hyde J, Hardiman G. Genes (Basel). 2018 Oct 25;9(11). pii: E521. doi: 10.3390/genes9110521. PMID: 30366465
- Systems Analysis of the Liver Transcriptome in Adult Male Zebrafish Exposed to the Plasticizer (2-Ethyllhexyl) Phthalate (DEHP).
Huff M, da Silveria WA, Carnevali O, Renaud L, Hardiman G. Sci Rep. 2018 Feb 1;8(1):2118. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-20266-8. PMID: 29391432
- Time – and Oil-Dependant Transcriptomic and Physiological Responses to Deepwater Horizon Oil in Mahi-Mahi (Coryphaena hippurus) Embryos and Larvae.
Xu EG, Mager EM, Grosell M, Pasparakis C, Schlenker LS, Stieglitz JD, Benetti D, Hazard ES, Courtney SM, Diamante G, Freitas J, Hardiman G, Schlenk D.
Environ Sci Technol. 216 Jul 19;50(14):7842-51. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.6b02205. Epub 2016 Jul 8.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- I currently do not have any studentships as I have just arrived from the USA.
- Supervised 4 PHD students within Marine Biomedicine and Environmental Sciences (MBES), 2017 program at MUSC, Charleston, USA.