Queen's University, Belfast
Key Research Interests
- Past environmental and climate change (nature, causes, timing)
- Past human-environment dynamics
- Volcanic impacts (climate and societal)
- Understanding past cultural change
- Societal and environmental resilience
Recent Key Papers
- Plunkett, G. & Pilcher, J.R. 2018 Defining the potential sources region of volcanic ash in northwest Europe during the Mid- to Late Holocene. Earth-Science Reviews 179, 20–37.
- Jeffers, E.S., Whitehouse, N.J., Lister, A., Plunkett, G., Barratt, P., Smyth, E., Lamb, P., Dee, M.W., Brooks, S.J., Willis, K.J. & Froyd, C.A., 2018 Plant controls on Late Quaternary whole ecosystem structure and function. Ecology Letters 21, 814-825.
- Sigl, M., Winstrup, M,. McConnell, J.R., Welten, K.C., Plunkett, G., Ludlow, F., Buntgen, U., Caffee, M., Chellman, N., DahlJensen, D., Fischer, H., Kipfstuhl, S., Kostick, C., Maselli, O.J., Mekhaldi, F., Mulvaney, R., Muscheler, R., Pasteris, D.R., Pilcher, J.R., Salzer, M., Schupbach, S., Steffensen, J.P., Vinther, B.M. and Woodruff, T.E. 2015 Timing and climate forcing of volcanic eruptions for the past 2,500 years. Nature 523, 543–549.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Drumclay crannog: a tree-ring dated narrative for Irish settlement (Marie-Therese Barrett, DfE studentship)
- Niche Construction and Plant Use in the Mesolithic (James Perkins, Northern Bridge
- QUADRAT DTP student, Sarah Ferrandin: Investigating the Timing and Causes of Nitrogen Cycle Changes in Bronze Age Ireland
- QUADRAT DTP student, James Dill-Russell: Multi-proxy investigation of the effect of drying climate on peatlands and human activity