University of Aberdeen
Key Research Interests
- Soil Science
- Applied microbiology
- Environmental analysis
Recent Key Papers
- Maderova, L., Paton, G.I. 2013. Deployment of microbial sensors to assess zinc bioavailability and toxicity in soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 66 222-228.
- Li, Q., Csetenyi, L., Paton, G.I., Gadd, G.M. 2015. CaCO3 and SrCO3 bioprecipitation by fungi isolated from calcareous soil. Environmental Microbiology 17, 8, 3082-3097.
- Zhang, B., Sun, G., Zhu, Y., Paton, G.I. 2016. Quantification of the bioreactive Hg fraction in Chinese soils using luminescence-based biosensors. Environmental Technology and Innovation 5, 1: 267-276.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Characterisation and management of soils in the Seychelles
- Microbial processing of bioethanol using wastes
- Fugacity and risk assessment of hydrocarbons in Nigerian oil spills
- Comparative evaluation of mutagenicity measurements in environmental matrices
- Risk and hazard assessment of former metalliferous mine sites in the UK
- Development and performance enhancement of metal responsive microbial biosensors
- Quantitative risk assessment of hexavalent chromium from tannery processes in Northern Nigeria
- The role of buffering agents in the ecotoxicology of elemental nano-particles