Queen's University, Belfast
Key Research Interests
- Environmental Chemistry
- Global Food Security
- Chemical Imaging & in situ speciation
- Plant-Soil Interactions
- Toxic Trace Elements
Recent Key Papers
- Shi X, Fang W, Tang N, Williams PN, Hu X, Liu Z, Yin D, Ma LQ, Luo J. In Situ Selective Measurement of SeIV in Waters and Soils: Diffusive Gradients in Thin-films with Bi-Functionalized Silica Nanoparticles. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2018. In press.
- Fang W, Williams PN*, Fang X, Amoah-Antwi C, Yin D, Li G, Ma LQ, Luo, J. Field-Scale Heterogeneity and Geochemical Regulation of Arsenic, Iron, Lead, and Sulphur Bioavailability in Paddy Soil. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2018, In press. acs.est.8b01947. *corresponding author.
- Williams PN*, Santner J, Larsen M, Lehto NJ, Oburger E, Wenzel W, Glud RN, Davison W, Zhang H. Localized Flux Maxima of Arsenic, Lead, and Iron around Root Apices in Flooded Lowland Rice. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2014, 48, 8498– 506.*corresponding author.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
Currently primary supervisor of 3 PhD studentships
- Predicting fertiliser overuse and minimising P losses to local watercourses in NI: Multi-scale measurement of the plantsoil-water continuum using Diffusive Gradients in thin Films (DGT).
- Maximising the benefits of cover crops through optimising the management of rotations, organic manures and nitrogen fertiliser.
- The impact of biosolids and dairy waste on soil and crop quality, and the application of X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy for the rapid analysis of soil, crops and amendments.