Hi, my name is Lucy Ashpitel. I am a 23 year old graduate from the University of Birmingham with an M.Sci in geology and physical geography. Before university I didn’t plan on doing a PhD, however, during my studies I became fascinated by the environmental side of geology, particularly the impacts of climate change on water resources. I am thrilled to now be joining the University of Aberdeen to do my PhD.

My Quadrat project looks at the impacts of climate change on glacial meltwater resources in arid, high mountainous regions – specifically Peru. My previous research has focused on the impacts of climate change on water quality in the Lake District. I am excited to build upon this experience whilst working with a group of world leading researchers within the field of glaciology. I am also looking forward to developing my remote sensing skills further and the opportunity to conduct fieldwork in Peru.

Outside of research I am a keen fell walker and can’t wait to explore the countryside around Aberdeen. I also enjoy musical theatre, dance and yoga all of which I hope to continue in Aberdeen.