University of Aberdeen
Key Research Interests
- Landforms and sediments (mainly glacial related)
- The cryosphere mainly glaciers but also permafrost – ice dynamics, chronology
- Climate/palaeoclimate – glacier-climate relationships, regional climate reconstructions, multi-proxy integration
- Subsurface –related to glacigenic sequences and landscapes/systems, aquifers, reservoirs
- Long-term landscape evolution
Recent Key Papers
- Rea, B.R., Newton, A.M.W., et al., (2018) Extensive marine-terminating ice sheets in Europe from 2.5 million years ago. Science Advances, 4, eaar8327, doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aar8327
- van der Bilt, W.G.M., Rea, B.R., Spagnolo, M., Roerdink, D., Jørgensen, S., Bakke, J. (2018) East Greenland lake sediments capture abrupt responses to Holocene climate transitions. Global and Planetary Change, 164, 52-64, doi: 10.1016/j.gloplacha.2018.03.007
- Schoenrock, K., Bacquet, M., Kamenos, N., Pearce, D., Rea, B.R., Schofield, J.E., Lea, J., Mair, D.(2018) Influences of salinity on the physiology and distribution of the arctic coralline algae, Lithothamnion glaciale (Corallinales, Rhodophyta). Journal of Phycology, doi: 10.1111/jpy.12774
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Climate at the onset of the Antarctic ice-sheet growth: a detailed analysis of ice-buried glacial cirques.
- Sediment dynamics and destabilization of continental margins: predicting shelf and slope instability under a changing climate.
- Characterisation of glacigenic reservoirs and landsystems using sedimentology, geomorphology and virtual outcrop mapping
- QUADRAT DTP: Ice streams: present-to-palaeo