Queen's University, Belfast
|Current Position||Senior Lecturer in Physical Geography|
|Previous Position||Lecturer in Physical Geography|
|Telephone||+44 (0)28 9097 3362|
|Departments||School of Natural and Built Environment|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Earth Systems, Environmental Management|
|Methods I Use||Modelling|
Key Research Interests
- Regional Climate Scenario Development
- Climate Impacts on Environmental Systems, e.g. peatlands, hillslopes, hydrology
- Climate Impacts on Socio-Economic Systems, e.g. infrastructure, health, tourism
- Soil Erosion & Muddy Flooding
- Resilience of Environmental Management Strategies to Climate Change
Recent Key Papers
- Swindles GT, Morris P, Mullan D. et al. Accepted. Widespread drying of European peatlands in recent centuries. Nature Geoscience.
- Sim T, Swindles GT, Morris P, Galka M, Mullan D, Galloway J. Accepted. Pathways for ecological change in Canadian High Arctic wetlands under rapid twentieth century warming. Geophysical Research Letters 46, 4726-4737.
- Mullan D, Matthews T, Vandaele K, Barr I, Swindles GT, Meneely J, Boardman J, Murphy C. 2019. Climate impacts on soil erosion and muddy flooding at 1.5°C vs 2°C warming. Land Degradation and Development 30(1), 94-108.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Resilience and adaptation of muddy flooding mitigation to climate change
- Geological and Geomorphological Controls on Blanket Bog Ecohydrology
- Modelling Future Scenarios of Glacier Mass Balance
- QUADRAT DTP: Novel tools for quantifying and managing sediment and nutrient loss from agricultural land