University of Aberdeen
|Current Position||Chair in School of Biological Sciences|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1224 272264|
|Departments||School of Biological Sciences|
|Quadrat Core Themes||Biodiversity, Earth Systems, Environmental Management|
|Methods I Use||Bio / Geo / Chemical Analytical, Modelling|
Key Research Interests
- Soil structure formation, dynamics, hydrology and mechanics.
- Biological and physical interactions in soil.
- Rhizosphere processes and root-soil interactions.
- Up-scaling and Critical Zone science.
- Soil degradation, restoration and sustainability.
Recent Key Papers
- Naveed, M., Brown, L.K., Raffan, A.C., George, T.S., Bengough, A.G., Roose, T., Sinclair, I., Kobernick, N., Cooper, L. & Hallett, P.D. 2018. Rhizosphere-scale quantification of hydraulic and mechanical properties of soil impacted by root and seed exudates. Vadose Zone Journal 17:170083. doi:10.2136/vzj2017.04.0083.
- Cooper, L., Daly, K.R., Hallett, P.D,.Koebernick, N., George, T.S. & Roose, T. 2018. The effect of root exudates on rhizosphere water dynamics. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 474: 20180149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2018.0149
- Oleghe, E., Naveed, M., Baggs, E.M. & Hallett, P.D. 2017. Plant exudates improve the mechanical conditions for root penetration through compacted soils. Plant & Soil, 421-19-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-017-3424-5.
Summary Title of Current Studentships
- Does the Casparian strip influence plant root biomechanics?
- Habitat engineering by ectomycorrhizal fungi.
- Physical priming of rhizosphere soil.
- Soil carbon cycling as affected by aggregate structure collapse and reformation.
- Development of green value chemicals from renewable sources and their physical properties.
- Modelling and measuring soil organic carbon under different tillage practices in agricultural soils of the UK.
- The roots of soil and food security.
- QUADRAT DTP student, Annette Raffan: Do plant communities manipulate soil for drought resistance?